Leaving Maine going south

We went south from Dessert Island a foggy day and again we came to Rockland, easy anchoring, good provisioning and to attend an OCC (Ocean Cruising Club) gathering. As you might remember I wrote last time about the old couple who sold their sailboat at the age of 96 and bought a brand-new motorboat an American Tug 365. Well we meet them at the OCC meeting and had a long chat with them, fantastic persons, they told us they bought a HR 42 in Ellös +30 years ago.

Ruth and Herb Weiss call them self and their new boat Ancient Mariners, an honor to meet them Herb will be 100 this fall.


On our way south, we saw this odd boat

Could be a friend of the Swedish character Sven Yrvind, who sail small, very small sailboats that he construct and build himself, if you do not know about Sven, I recommend you to read about him http://www.yrvind.com/my-life-texts/  at 79 he now starts to build yet another boat for a long voyage, a real character.


From Rockland we aimed for Provincetown at Cape Cod, but as we where to drop our anchor I had a look at the forecast and found that we will have strong southerlies so why not continue for another day and go down to Hadley Harbor not far from Newport, Kerstin thought it was a good idea, so we continued. Then we saw this ship

A real Pirate ship? No it is the Kalmar Nyckel, Kalmar Nyckel was a Swedish ship originally built 1625 in Holland which 1635 transported people to the Swedish colony, New Sweden situated in Delaware. 1655 the colony was lost to The Netherlands, but the most Swedes decided to stay.

1997 The city of Wilmington Delaware built a replica of Kalmar Nyckel. (for more information see) http://www.kalmarnyckel.org/, anyhow a large surprise to see such historical vessel.


While in the area it is almost a must to visit Newport again, this time there was the annual Jazz festival, either Kerstin or I are great friends of Jazz especially not the type they played in Newport, but the folk life was rather nice, except for the one day it was torrential rain, not fun at all for the festival.

A lot of boats large and small anchored outside the festival enjoying drinks and food aboard and free music, and so did we too.

The rainy day we decided to take a walk to a T-Mobile shop to fill up our internet, according to google map it should be about 2,5 km walk so total 5 km walk. The forecast claimed it should not start to rain within an hour. Well never trust the weatherman, after about 20 minutes walk it started to rain, and do not trust google map either the T-Mobile shop we aimed for did close more than a year ago, next one was another 3 km away, well we walked on in the rain and were rather wet when arriving to the shop. When leaving the T-Mobile shop the rain was rather heavy so we had a 5 km walk back, we got very wet, but just as we got back to the boat the real torrential rain started so we said that we had relatively luck with the weather anyhow.

Before the rain we saw these colourful houses in Newport.


Next stop was Menemsha on Martha’s Vineyard, where part of the movie the Jaws was filmed, we were there last year by buss, but this time we anchored outside, a rather exposed anchorage, so the night was rather uncomfortable as more than expected swell hit the anchorage.

Menemsha is a rather idyllic place well worth visiting

No wild polis car chasing with this vehicle, a rather charming polis vehicle.

Plenty of sea food available, we choose mussels this time, and a sizable bottle of white wine

Sunset at Block Island

Block Island is a rather busy place, but generally it has been less boats out this season compared with last season, much easier to find good anchorage this time.

If one takes the dingy into the shallow lagoon on Block Island it is not busy at all.

On our way further south to Port Washington we encounter some strong current mainly due to variation in depth.

One has to plan rather carefully to have the current with you, it is a rather big difference to have +2 kn instead of -2 kn. If your boat sped is 6 knots SOG is either 4 or 8 knots a big difference.



When arriving to Port Washington, the weather was not the best.

But some days later it was better, and we took the train into New York to meet our youngest daughter Linnea who had been on a training course and had a few hours she wanted to spend with us before she flew back to Sweden so a short but very dear meeting.

The day after we headed south passing Manhattan via East River

Approaching New York

Lower Manhattan

After passing Manhattan with relatively clear sky and sunshine we now saw some clouds over New York, but as we now were at Sandy Hook and it was good wind just forward of the beam, I was very tempted to set sail. We started with the main, but the sky was grey over land and sometimes the wind can be rather strong under heavy clouds, so I hesitate to unfurl the genoa, it was itching in my fingers to unfurl, but I have become older and hopefully wiser, so I decided to wait. Well we did not need to wait for a long while before the wind hit us, from maybe 12 knots to persistent wind of well over 30 knots and sometimes very close to 40 knots. In just a few seconds, furl the main quickly and continue under engine. It lasted maybe for 45 minutes then we could sail almost all the way down to the mouth of the Delaware Bay, but during that night we could not relax very much as we could se the clouds and thunder both over land and further out at sea, but luckily no more squalls hit us.

Not the best picture but wind 35 knots.


We anchored at the southern part of the mouth of the Delaware bay, most anchor at Cape May, but our draft makes it difficult to find a good spot, we had been advised to anchor at Cape Henlopen instead, not the most beautiful place but OK to wait for the tide to turn in the right direction for going up the bay. We were rather tiered when we arrived because both of us had been up all night as the weather was unstable, we were greeted by some dolphins very nice indeed, less nice was that the anchor chain had made a knot by itself so impossible to get out of the anchor box.

Luckily, we have installed an inspection hatch in the bow locker, but it has to be emptied before it could be open, not what you want to do after a long overnight trip.

Then it is rather easy to get access and untie the knot, the chain is rather dirty after being in muddy waters so good we do not need to use the inspection hatch that are available from the inside of the boat.


Now we are in Annapolis, plan to stay for a while to work on the boat. I did a lot of work on Kerpa before we started the trip and I found it sometimes rather fun and rewarding to work on Kerpa, so my ambition was to continue to do some minor improvements and maintenance during the trip, but as soon as we cast off, all the good ideas, lust and ambitions vanished totally. I can’t understand why the threshold to start even the most minor jobs feels enormous.  A few things have broken and urgently needed to be fixed, but I have not found the energy for it, in my mind a saw several days of uncomfortable work in awkward positions so it has been postponed, intill yesterday when I started. The bilge bump was leaking I had winterized everything except the bilge pump which I forgot, with the result it is now leaking, but luckily it is the easiest thing to fix so it could have been worse, glad I did not forgot to winterize the water maker.

Well yesterday I fixed it, it took maybe an hour. And it was not that bad at all to work so I did

The exhaust elbow on the diesel generator as well, as it started to be clogged, a rather dirty job, the worst part is to clear the clogged part on the motor block. It does not look that bad but if not cleaned the exhaust leaves very black stains on the hull. Well both job was done before lunch (but a late lunch).

I’m not the only one who loses the energy to work, Kerstin who do the cooking every day and more or less always from pure raw materials no half made starts, she lost the energy and served this for dinner

Ready barbequed chicken, Chips, Guacamole, cheese etc, she threw in some carrots as well to make it more nutritional correct.

But the next day back to normal this time and very old classic Swedish dish from the late 1960’s

Boiled chicken in curry sauce, brought out some nice childhood memories.

We have bought a new toy, I claim it is for when our kids visiting us, but I have wanted a SUP for a while and there was a sale on defender.com so we just had to try one it looked good so, a second is already ordered, soon we can paddle around both of us. It is less difficult than I thought but I do fall into the water now and then.

This entry was posted in Seglingsförberedelser. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Leaving Maine going south

  1. Jeanette Liljekvist says:

    Det är så kul att läsa om er segling längs USAs östkust, vi har funderingar på att komma dit en dag… kanske blir det hösten 2019 elelr så får det bli en annan gång. Nu står västra Karibien på tur att segla till. Må så gott & Fair Winds!


    • sykerpa says:

      Kul att det inspirerar. Vi kommer med intresse följa er på er tur till västra Karibien, då det är vårt huvudspår för 2019. Sen lockar stilla havet för oss, men planer är till för att avvika ifrån.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s