We Left yesterday at 1500 UTC, according to Chris Parker our weather routing man, we could expect light wind, Predict Wind had similar forecast so motoring was to expected for the first 12 to 24 hours. Luckily they where wrong, we could sail almost immediately as we reached opened water. Close hauled with apparent wind 8 to 12 kn we made 4 to 6 kn.
Unfortunately our hydro generator from Swi-tech broke down, just a few hours out, it started to fall apart, nothing we can repair. It was on this trip we thought it might proof it self a good investment! It will not!
During the night Variable wind forced us to motor for a few hours, during that time we had lightning around us and some nasty clouds. Luckily neither thunder or rain hit us badly.
Total distance first 24 hours 136 nM where off 26 motoring. Now we are broas reaching in 14 to 16 kn of wind speed 7-8 kn, however forecast is for wind 10 to 12, and later to pick up so we have to wait and see if we get any strong wind or can continue with “cheese and cracker sailing”. A lot of Saragossa weed in the water so no fishing yet, hope it improve but claims to be a problem for about 500 nM. Rhumb line distance to go is ca 1660 nM. Our crew is settling in good.